Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Newspaper

Recently, we helped some high school seniors raise money for college by buying a weekend subscription to the LA Times. Last time I was poring over an interesting story, I had a realization. I'm going to go ahead and say it, even though it is an unpopular view in many circles:

I freaking hate reading the newspaper.

By this I don't mean that I hate reading news; I mean that I now hate the physical experience of reading the newspaper. It is large, it is awkward, and I suck at folding it correctly. I get ink all over my hands. If it gets spread out on the beige carpet, ink will get on the carpet, too. By the time it gets to my door, a zillion more things have already happened that will be reported online. Plus, on the weekend it's like, 80% ads and useless coupons.

This might surprise you, because I really love print in many ways and have thus far made print my livelihood, but I just can't get behind newspapers. I don't know if I ever would have come to this realization before there were other options, but when this subscription runs out, I'm all iPad, all the way—at least in terms of news.

[Apparently this space is becoming a home for my random thoughts lately. Sorry!]

No comments:

Post a Comment

As told by