Monday, August 3, 2009

Another vampire post

image from SciFi Wire

Did anyone happen to check out Entertainment Weekly's list of the 20 Greatest Vampires of All Time? I was psyched that one Buffy vamp made the cut (Angel), but was shocked at one all-important omission: Spike.

The places Buffy took this character were more complex and greater than I ever thought possible for TV. Spike is endlessly interesting and brilliantly written. One could analyze his character for days on end. Watching his story unfold (I'm not done yet! No spoilers!) has provided continual creative inspiration. Lots of writers must draw inspiration from Spike—I recently read that Nora Roberts (surprising!) keeps a figurine of Spike on her writing desk.

If I'd had to choose between Angel and Spike for that list, I would've gone with Spike. Don't worry, I already wrote a letter.

2 comments:

  1. The only one I disagree with is Edward Cullen.

    Not only is he a two-dimensional character to begin with, he's a pretty shitty vampire on top of that.

    However I am glad to see both Bill and Eric from True Blood make it, that's my new televisual obsession while House is on hiatus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely agree. Spike is the most interesting character on the show for me. Robbery!

    ReplyDelete

As told by