Friday, July 17, 2009

The Parent Trap

Guys, I love The Parent Trap. Love it. The other day, I was flipping channels while gluing together wedding invites and found the re-make, with pre-crazy Lindsay Lohan. She was so cute!I even love the re-make. It's nowhere as great as the original, of course. But so cute. However, it JUST dawned on me the other night that this is the most ludicrous movie plot ever conceived. Why do I like it so much?

Why on earth would parents of twins get divorced and decide to each take a kid? Like, I get each taking an end table. But a daughter? And then, to scar your kids up real good, never tell the kid in your custody that she has a twin. But, because you are still meant to be with your former flame and you have lovers' ESP, send your kids to the same camp—without checking with the other parent in order to coordinate your "you-have-no-sister" scheme. And THEN...your kids switch places! And no one notices! (Except wise old Grandpa.)

I am not a mother, much less a mother of twins. But I cannot fathom that, past the infant baby-bracelet phase, any mother (or father) would not be able tell her (or his) twins apart. Especially if, as in the re-make, one of them grows up with a British accent and has to fake an American one (and vice-versa).

So why do I love this movie? Thoughts? My parents are still married, so I never fantasized about getting them back together. Is it just because I always thought it would be so fun to have a twin and play tricks on people? Because the girls are sweet, yet mischievous? Because I loved the idea of summer camp?

1 comment:

As told by