Saturday, July 25, 2009

De-sensitization

Remember how I cry at everything, even dog food commercials? So, I've been somewhat concerned that I'll sob through my vows and generally be a red, puffy mess at the wedding. I don't know if there's any real cure for being emotional, but I have prescribed myself a de-sensitization regimen. It is somewhat working. SOMEWHAT. I only teared up at a friend's wedding recently, but I sorta credit the bride's brother, who was making everyone laugh.

If you, too, would like to follow my regimen, you just need to repeatedly expose yourself to things that make you cry. *Note: This only applies to happy, "that's so beautiful" crying. Not sad crying.

Here's a sample diet of tearjerkers:

1) Bach Double Violin Concerto, 2nd Mvmt. This will be playing as I walk down the aisle. I find thinking about playing the notes on the violin helps me not cry.

2) The Where the Wild Things Are trailer. Gets me every time! I know I've been unsuccessful with this one because I saw it last weekend before Harry Potter and lost to the tears.

3) Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova's Oscar speech. Still losing this one. It starts when Glen raises his Oscar and repeats "Make art, make art," and comes back with Marketa's "No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible...fair play to those who dare to dream."

The hope is that repeated exposure will reduce my emotional response each time, or at least teach me how to successfully trick myself out of crying. Any criers out there with tricks that work??

No comments:

Post a Comment

As told by