Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Six-Word Memoirs

For my 25th birthday, my friends Randal and Ginny gave me a cool book called "Not Quite What I Was Planning: Six-Word Memoirs by Writers Famous & Obscure." The 6-word story was supposedly first posed as a challenge to Hemingway, who came up with "For Sale: baby shoes, never worn."

At my birthday party, we passed the book around the wine bar and tried to brainstorm some 6-word memoirs. I was talking that night about how I'll struggle not to cry while reciting my wedding vows, considering that I tear up at this dog food commercial:

So Ginny suggested this one for me: "I cry at dog food commercials."

Today feels more basic, like maybe: "Wake up, make coffee, live life."

Some favorites from the book: 
"I inhale battles. I exhale victories." -William Heath
"Cheese is the essence of life." -Mary Lynch
"Became more like myself every year." -Eddie Sulimirski
"Fifteen years since last professional haircut." -Dave Eggers

What's your 6-word memoir?

1 comment:

As told by