Friday, April 17, 2009

Run for the Wild



Video: Koko the gorilla meets Mr. Rogers, her TV idol.

Chris and I are running the first ever "Run for the Wild" 5K next weekend in the Bronx Zoo, just about my favorite place in all of New York, and possibly one of my favorite places in the world. If you would like to pledge a buck or two to benefit the Wildlife Conservation Society's efforts to research and protect gorillas, you can do so on my pledge page here. If you would like to get out in the beautiful spring weather and run with us, you can sign up here!

Back when I was shuffling between various part-time gigs, I would often find myself at the Bronx Zoo's "pay-what-you-wish" summer Wednesdays. On one such Wednesday, the gorilla exhibit was nearly empty (unheard of) and one of the baby gorillas put his hand up to the glass right where I was standing. I didn't understand how breathtaking these creatures are until that moment. Their intelligence is visible in their faces, and their hands look so human.

No comments:

Post a Comment

As told by