Friday, April 3, 2009

Obsession: Mail chutes

My favorite thing about visiting the dentist would have to be the mail chutes in the old, old building. I'm obsessed. The Cutler mail chute was invented in 1883. According to Wikipedia, there are still 900 active chutes in New York City. I am dying to see one in action.

I strongly feel my quality of life would be improved if I could send mail via chute. Or anything via chute, for that matter.

Photos via Flickr: top by ReefRaff, center by teknorat, bottom by joshuaseye.

4 comments:

  1. Fo real! I've always been obsessed with these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I settle for my trash chute. It's not so fun. It's kinda smelly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trash chute, eh? You should see if they can put in a laundry chute. My grandma's house has one... much more pleasantly scented.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Things get stuck in chutes!

    ReplyDelete

As told by