Monday, April 6, 2009

Sandwich time

Vegetarian sandwiches are hard to come by. There's the old standby, PBJ, but beyond that it's hard to find something lunchbox-friendly. My lunch packing usually involves salads, but sometimes you just want to slap something between two pieces of bread and call it a day.

Last month, I threw together a successful (though seemingly random) combination of foods and created a new veggie sandwich. Here's the recipe for my fellow veggie-loving lunch packers:

-2 pieces of your favorite hearty whole-grain bread
-hummus (I use a roasted eggplant variety for extra heartiness)
-celery
-black olives
-sundried tomato
-spinach

Spread the hummus over the bread. Finely chop celery and black olives; mix into a "salad"; spread over hummus. Chop sundried tomato and add to your liking. Top with spinach and close that baby on up.

Photo: freefoto.com

3 comments:

  1. vegetarian sandwiches are tricky! egg-salad is always good, if you're not vegan. anything with avocado is usually a winner. this one sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would recommend one that has avocado, cheddar cheese (white!) and pesto along with any yummy veggies you have in the house... lettuce, carrots, cucumber, sprouts. It will treat you right.

    Also make a spanish tortilla. No joke. Yum. For any meal on a baguette.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had 2 avocado-combo sandwiches this week. They were my college fave, but I was always sure they'd be un-lunchbox-friendly. Not so. They were very friendly. Thanks for the excellent ideas! :)

    ReplyDelete

As told by