Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Halloween, and my tarot

Did you dress up this Halloween? What was your costume? Chris and I went as Buffy and Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. My obsession has been adequately documented.

My new band played at a co-worker's party the night before Halloween. So many people "got" my costume! (I had a t-shirt that said "Sunnydale" under my biker jacket, which helped. And a wooden stake and some "holy water" in a perfume bottle.)On Halloween, we took a ghost tour of Greenwich Village and learned that thousands of bodies were buried under Washington Square Park after a yellow fever epidemic. And I stomped on Peter Stuyvesant's tomb.

We eventually bailed on the Village Halloween Parade due to rain. Back in Queens, we ducked into a local pub, where they had a tarot card reader. We each got a 3-card tarot reading. I've been thinking about mine for days.
Before the reading, I shuffled the cards and (silently) dwelled upon a particular question. Then the reader revealed the cards. My "past" card was The Empress. It signified a time of creativity and fruitfulness. The present was the Nine of Cups—upside-down. If this card is upright, it means that a wish will be granted; that you will enjoy good fortune. For me, the card meant that I feel a wish slipping away, and that I am obsessed with the possibility of not getting this wish. My "future" card was Death. I did not post it here because it is totally freaky. According to the tarot reader, this means something that is troubling me is going to end and a change will take place. It may be a difficult change, but it can help me work toward getting the wish.

I did this reading as a fun and silly activity, but I am really glad I decided to do it. It has actually made me start thinking about how to get my wish, and about the ways in which I might be standing in my own way by not making difficult changes.

Have you ever had your tarot cards or palm read? Your fortune told? Did you giggle the entire time? Did you take anything away from it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

As told by