Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Vampire weekends

We has Buffy. As Chris put it, a smorgasboard of Buffy. Am I becoming a vampire junkie?
If I am, I'm not the only one; some scholars can't stop re-examining Bram Stoker's Dracula over a century after its publication. There's a real vampire trend right now, and I'm sort of on the fence here. Sure, I liked studying Dracula in my Gothic Lit class back in the day, but then there's Twilight

I saw the movie Twilight when it came out, without really knowing what I was in for. I thought it was pretty much awful. (Side note: I saw a great Twilight-backlash t-shirt on our trip to Disney: Vampires don't sparkle in sunlight, they burst into flames and DIE.) Regardless of my opinion though, the Twilight novels have sold millions of copies. They're breeding a whole new race of vampire junkies. And I'd rather steer clear of that camp.  

On the other hand, the Buffy series is so good it makes me want to up my vampire media intake quotient. I've read some terrific reviews of HBO's True Blood, but the promo for the second season looks kinda too-scary for me. Anybody seen this? Thoughts?

I guess what's really so great about Buffy is that it falls between the soft-and-cuddly Twilight world and what seems to be the pretty scary realm of True Blood. It's dangerous, but not unbeatable. With the right amount of strength and smarts, a girl can come out on top. Best of all, it shows us that there's a little bit of slayer in all of us. So maybe I'm not a full-fledged vampire junkie...but for sure a vampire-slayer groupie.

Have you been sucked into the vampire trend? Why can't we humans get enough?

2 comments:

  1. Anna Paquin sucks and ruins everything she is in . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. True Blood is decent but Twilight is total garbage.

    Not sure what you too-scary limit is

    ReplyDelete

As told by