Sunday, May 10, 2009

What do you owe to your mother?

Happy Mother's Day, all. I actually really like this holiday, however greeting-card-company-contrived it may be. We all owe lots to our mothers—maybe our hair or nose, maybe a particular interest, and, y'know, life itself. Since I already wrote about my Mother's Day project, today I'm thinking about some things I owe to my mother...

1) My name. Just-Beth-Not-Bethany-or-Elizabeth. I once longed to change this to the more formal, old-fashioned Eliz(s)abeth, especially after my sixth grade social studies teacher kept trying to insist that I had not filled in my "full" name on our state standardized tests. Now I rather like Just-Beth, and as I understand it, the name was largely my mom's idea.

2) A love of baking. Sometimes I get the random urge to make a million chocolate-chip cookies, just like my mom.

3) "Seizures": Family term for when you're holding something just fine one minute and drop it the next, without the influence of any outside force. 

What do you owe to your mother?

2 comments:

  1. Glad I skipped the seizure trait, perhaps it is an adult-onset disorder and I'm fooling myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, just about everything. Starting with my love of words and story.

    ReplyDelete

As told by