Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Commuter Chronicles

While the subway does give me a chance to get the morning fuzzies out of my brain (read: time to mull over art, religion, waffles, etc.), packing myself on to a crowded train for 45 minutes first thing in the morning has never been my favorite way of getting to work. Roughly 8 months ago, I changed my commute route to involve more outdoor walking and less underground time. The new route has been providing me with my much-needed dose of sunlight (or rain, or sleet, or whipping winds, as the case may be) and Vitamin D. In celebration of my daily half mile (thanks, Google Maps!), the things I see outside that have kept me going:

1) The Petrossian building
My grandest Hey, My House! (the label Chris and I assign to houses we like to dream about living in). The ornate carvings stand out in a good way. Living here, I’d pop downstairs to the bakery every day and decide which flaky, buttery pastry would start my day.

2) Carriage horses
Because they are beautiful and not afraid of cabs.

3) Central Park
No explanation necessary.

4) Maine Monument

This statue always makes me feel as if I'm in Europe. Also, there are at least 8 loose cobblestones toward the westernmost edge of the surrounding plaza.

5) Jean George’s copper pots
Every morning, I spy on the chefs in the window of Jean Georges. Even when no one is furiously chopping veggies by the window, the copper pots are there, gleaming.

3 comments:

  1. {sigh}. i miss you. and new york.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this tour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) It was nice to make myself stop and take pictures, I must say! Made me appreciate these things more.

    ReplyDelete

As told by