Friday, March 27, 2009

Hanging up my winter coat?


Today I left the house wearing a light jacket. The sun is shining, children are outside playing, dogs are out for walks. Could it officially be time to hang up my winter coat?

Before it is relegated to the back of the closet until next winter, I have to pay respect to my Brooklyn Industries Snug Coat. I agonized over this purchase for ages, because dropping a lot of money on one article of clothing is a tough decision for me. But I would say it was some of the best money I've ever spent.

This coat allowed me to wear a dress out on Valentine's Day and made long waits on subway platforms bearable. On long bus or train rides, it can serve nicely as a comforter. It eliminated the need to stuff long johns under fitted pants.

Yes, it does somewhat appear that I am walking down the street in a sleeping bag. However, the diagonal stitching on this baby makes it look a tad more slim-fitting than other full-length puffers I've seen. Even though I bought it late in the season, I wore it up until yesterday, and am not convinced that I won't break it out at least one more time this year.

If you, like me, commute to work in rain, shine, sleet, blizzards, or mini-hurricanes down Broadway, you NEED this coat. If your commute is a trifle less X-Treme, maybe a knee-length parka, like The North Face Artic Parka, will suit your needs (tested by my friend Jenn down in DC).

Every spring, I promptly block the preceding winter from my memory. That's the only way I'll ever get through winter again. But at the first sign of chill next year, you'll know where to score one of these coats. Trust me, you will not be sorry.

3 comments:

As told by