Monday, March 9, 2009

gray

Every day on my way to work, and then again at the gym, I've been listening to my brother's epic new album, gray. This is not just a big sister brag, I promise. The sophistication of this record is blowing me away. Driving repetition. Exultant choruses. And the writing, guitar, piano, and vocals are all a one-man job (and were done at home).

The clip included here is from the track iamgray. (Not sure how he'll feel about my choosing this clip, as he mentioned he wasn't 100% happy with the vocals, but this is what I listen to every morning around 57th Street, so I had to.)










I don't need to tell most of you that my brother is an insanely proficient guitarist. Lately, he's been into exploring a more electronic sound, which I tend to shy away from in my own listening habits. What I've learned from this album is that when electronic sounds are treated as true instruments, I really love the added dimension. Sometimes I think they're just used to make a point and mess with perceptions—music from the head, not the heart.

There is so much to hear on this album. There is clearly a lot of care put into the instrumentation, but it doesn't feel overthought. It's unaffected.

I wouldn't call gray an "electronic" album altogether, though. The range showcases an unusual versatility and adds accessibility...a little something for everyone, from an ardent audiophile, with love.

Among his influences: The Beatles, 65daysofstatic, Telefon Tel Aviv, NIN, Led Zeppelin, Queens of the Stone Age, Atmosphere, Massive Attack. I also find traces of Snow Patrol and/or Coldplay in my favorite tracks.

You can check out his MySpace, MyElectricLife.

Recommended tracks: Pistol, Circumstance, iamgray

1 comment:

As told by