Friday, June 19, 2009

Andrew Bird

Saw Andrew Bird last night at Radio City Music Hall. I first saw him a few years back at a tiny venue in Providence. I've now seen him live 4 times, each time at a bigger venue. Rock.


I love this man's music. He's a musical machine—whistling, swapping between violin and guitar at lightning-quick speeds, looping recordings of himself in his live shows by using his feet to control buttons and knobs. Probably even his sneezes are musical. But for some reason, I have a hard time picturing him, say, making a sandwich.

"Plasticities" in the second video above is a great song, but check out the album version if you can, from Armchair Apocrypha. Bird tends to change his songs live, just enough so that you're getting a unique experience, different than you would were you listening to the album. But there's much to be said for the straightforward melodies on his albums, too. And the violin and the playful poetry...and even the suit. Oh yeah.

My lovelies, I shall be leaving you for a couple of days to spend time with my little bro-in-law-to-be before he jets off to England, then Indonesia, then DC (yeah, nuts!). There's lots of other bloggy goodness for you to see, though. Have you seen Erin's my week in objects this week?

1 comment:

  1. Have I told you to listen to Theresa Andersson? She is local (for me) (tho actually from Sweden) and awesome. She plays in NYC a lot these days, actually. She rocks the one-woman band and plays violin :)

    ReplyDelete

As told by